Why a logo is important
You only make a first impression with your customers once and you know how important this is. It can make or break a sale.
The logo of your company is often one of the first things potential customers see. That is why a professional and good logo is of great importance to your business and to the branding of your company’s name. A good logo reflects positively on your company and it gives your company an identity.
What defines a good logo?
To design an effective logo is not that easy. For us as your webdesigner it is important that your logo meets the following criteria. Your logo must be:
- timeless: a good logo you only design once and will last for decades. Think of the logos of Apple and Coca-Cola. It is beneficial if your logo last for a long time so people learn to recognize your logo. Your potential customers already have created a bond with you and your company. If you decide to change or design your logo after a while, it will probably effect the relationship you have build with your customers.
- original: A good logo stands on its own and is authentic. Think of the logos of Pringles and Dove.
- simple: keep it simple when designing your logo. In that way it is also easier to remember a logo. Think of Unilever or Shell. In this case “Less is more” couldn’t be any more accurate.
- appropriate: the look and feel of your logo plays an important role in the company you’re representing. Your logo determines how you come across. A logo for a painter can be colorful and playful, but the logo of a notary should be stern and businesslike. Compare the logo of Pringles (a brand of potato-based stackable snack chips) with the logo of a more official institution like the taxpayer service center.
- versatile: Imagine your logo is designed in several beautiful colors and you print your logo in black and white. Now your logo loses all meaning…This can never happen. Regardless of the size of your logo, the color, or the place your logo is used (for example on a car or on clothing) it should always send the same message and be as effective as possible. Think of the logo of Nike or the panda in the logo of the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF).
- effective: An effective logo represents what the company stands for and what kind of services it offers. Think of the logo of companies like UNICEF or Amnesty International.
How much does a logo cost?
Maybe you ask yourself why the prices for logos differ so much. It all depends on the time and the quality of your logo: You get what you pay for. Designing a logo is a profession. Therefore a professional agency will ask their graphic designer to design a logo for your company which captures your image and your identity in it. Also he will include the criteria we mentioned earlier into your logo. That’s why this agency will ask more than an acquaintance who will make something for you.
There are also companies which make “ready-to-go” logos. They use a stock photo, change the colour, add your company name to the image en your logo is finished. Cheap? Yes. Original, timeless and effective? No.
An unprofessional logo gives your company an amateuristic image. The consequence is that there is a big chance customers think your company is not trustworthy or run by amateurs. Therefore it is important to always choose for quality and make a great first impression with your professional company logo.